Pages

Thursday 30 May 2013

Master progress

Here are a few before and afters of the master bedroom & bathroom. I got rid of the cold blue color the previous homeowner had and opted for "Kilim Beige" by Sherwin Williams, a very safe neutral color- and one of their top selling paint colors. Let me tell you... picking a paint color was NOT an easy task for me. I'm very indecisive. 
I even had trouble deciding which shade I should choose. But eventually, Kilim Beige won me over. It was a safe option. I'm boring, I know. This was the color I decided on for the master bedroom & bathroom. Originally, I thought I wanted to do the master bathroom in the lighter shade, but it was just easier (and probably cheaper) to pick one color, and I'm very happy with the way the color came out in both rooms.

The lighting in this picture isn't very good to see the "before" color, but you can definitely see it in the following picture of the bathroom. 

Part of our contract was that the buyer left all of the window treatments- which was good in some cases (like above, in the bedroom, where he left the bamboo blinds) and HORRIBLE in other cases. I seriously could not stand these blinds!! They drove me crazy. They were so old-fashioned and dingey looking. I couldn't wait to get rid of them...

Post paint job, with an added headboard, nightstands, lamps, and a nice bench for the end of the bed! The headboard and I bought from wayfair, which is a great site for furniture by the way! I saw so many beds and headboards similar to this one at expensive furniture stores, and I got this one for a third of the price (or less!) than what those places were selling them for. Also, another frugal tip- I have a cheap bed frame that I got from Mattress Firm (it was like $80), and with the fancy headboard & bench, it looks like a nice bed! The nightstands are from Kirkland's (the outlet), the lamps are from Marshalls/HomeGoods, and the bedding I got on sale from Pottery Barn around Christmastime last year. Oh, and the curtains are from Target! All very budget friendly.

This picture shows different lighting (which always makes the paint look different), and it shows the mirror that I added above the headboard. The mirror is from Target and cost around $40. I love the way my bedroom is turning out! So serene & neutral. 

Also, from the Kirkland's outlet, is this vanity/console table that matches my nighstands. My mom bought me the nightstands and the vanity as a housewarming gift... Thanks mom :) I got the "count your blessings" sign when I was in college, and I *think* it was from Hobby Lobby, which is a great place for discounted decor & picture frames!

And now on to the bathroom!
That is so much better... some may think it doesn't have as much "character" as the original decor choices... ahem... ugly brown blinds.... but I am in love with my neutral bathroom. The blinds were a bit of a splurge from Bed Bath & Beyond (they weren't necessarily cheap, but they weren't crazy expensive either). Also, since I have a nice glass shower (which is just to the right of the vanity) there is no need for a shower curtain! Yay for saving money.

What do you prefer... "character"... or nice and neutral? I think the choice is obvious ;) So that's my progress so far on the master bed & bath. Obviously there is still some work to be done on the decor side, but some major improvements have been made!

No comments:

Post a Comment